By Cinthia Mcdonald, Summer Youth Employment Intern
Although chess has increasingly become more popular in the last millennia, there is still not nearly enough common knowledge on the sport itself for it to match its valued hype. Let us jump into some basic yet interesting facts that will make you fall in love with chess just a little bit more…
- Chess had been used as a form of strategic military training from as early as Ancient India to the current age of technology.
2. The first Chessboard with alternating light and dark squares appears in Europe in 1090.
3. The word “Checkmate” in chess originates from the Persian phrase “Shah Mat,” which means “the King is dead.”
4. The record of moves without capture is of 100 moves during the Match between Thornton and M. Walker in 1992.
5. Out of the 7 billion people that exist on Earth, about 600,000,000 people know how to play chess worldwide.
6. The longest possible chess game comes up to a whopping 5,949 moves!!
7. In the English language, the second book to ever be printed took was about chess (it must have been really popular!!)
8. There are a total of eight different ways from the starting position to Mate in just two moves, whereas there are a total of 355 different paths to mate using three moves.
9. In 1985, Eric Knoppert played 500 games of 10-minute Chess in 68 hours.
10. The record of moves without capture is of 100 moves during the Match between Thornton and M. Walker in 1992.
Is there anything else you want to learn or know about chess? Feel free to reach out and even sign up for our weekly chess camp along with lessons!!! Visit our page @ facebook.com/premierchess and we promise you will turn out into a strategic master.
4 thoughts on “Top 10 Chess Fun Facts You Probably Did not Know”
wow nice article!
<a href="[Link deleted]facts about usa
i hate you