“The Whole is Greater than the sum of its parts“- Aristotle
The faculty advisor can be anyone in the school not on the administration- after-school director, teacher, college counselor, etc. At the Grace Church School, for example, there is a science teacher who talks up our high school club as he used to run an informal one himself.
by Premier Chess CEO National Master Evan Rabin
How many times have you caught yourself at a tournament bookstore or in your home searching online looking for that latest opening book to learn about some tricky side lines?
|A Young Bill Lombardy and Bobby Fischer|
Bill was Bobby Fischer’s second. Before that, he was a prodigy, winning 12-0 in the World Junior Championship. As portrayed in Pawn Sacrifice, Bill left the chess world to become a priest. After his priesthood years, he turned to his roots and taught chess in New York City. While I never the privilege of formally studying with him, we became friends over the years, spending time at the Marshall Chess Club, Washington Square Park, Union Square Park The Chess Forum the Washington Square Diner and other places.
One late night or early morning, depending how you want to put it, around 2:00 AM Bill gave me one of the most influential pointers I ever received at the Chess Forum: “Find a grandmaster that matches your style and go over all of his games; that way you could learn a lot of about the opening, middlegame and endgame all at once.”
Here’s one game of Adams that I went over recently; my notes are in red:
[Event “2nd London Chess Classic”]
Premier Chess Classes at NYC Fun Zone
Where: NYC FunZone, 1571 York Avenue, New York, NY, 10028
When: Wednesdays from 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM, Oct 10- Dec 19 (No class on 11/21)
- It can raise your IQ by improving your critical thinking skills!
- By developing the right side of your brain, you could increase your creativity!
- As we learn opening, middle game and endgame strategies, your memory will be improved.
- Benjamin Franklin once said “Failing to Plan is Planning to Fail.” Chess will help you think strategically!
- Prepare for local chess tournaments, City Championships, State Championships and National Championships (tournaments are not required but are encouraged)
- Chess is also great way to meet new friends, both in school and out. Premier Chess CEO’s National Master Evan Rabin has played chess in 9 different countries and has connections literally around the world through the game
Cost: $400 for 10-week Session by 9/22, $450 by October 1, $500 after
Learn More about NYC FunZone: See www.nycfunzone.com. Questions: Reach out to Evan Rabin, CEO of Premier Chess at email@example.com or (917) 776- 1306 or Sarit Triger, Founder of NYC Fun Zone at firstname.lastname@example.org or (347) Register Here!
by Dr. Eric Padol, Licensed Psychologist at On-Site Psychological Services
To learn more about Dr. Eric Padol, seehttps://www.linkedin.com/in/eric-padol-1221a826/.